What to do with a whole case of peaches.....

So last week I picked up my CSA from Bell Organic Farms...




Then I waited around another hour to pick up another box of produce and a huge crate of peaches from Muir Fresh Harvest. Why......because I think I have more time on my hands than I really do and because I must think that my husband and I can eat more than we do!! There are just so many recipes I want to try but not enough days and mostly stomachs...I mean people to eat them. So with this new goal to try to not let things go bad or to waste, I spent this past weekend turning my kitchen into a huge mess. Tonight I'm still cleaning up from this weekend........But it was so worth it!!!


Starting with a huge case of peaches......




Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam 
*adapted slightly 
from Beantown Baker
- Makes about 18 4-oz jars or 7 8-oz jars
Before you begin this recipe either wash jars in the dishwasher on the extra hot water cycle, leaving them on dry until you need them for your jam. This sterilizes the jar and lengthens the shelf life of your jam. 

1 package low sugar pectin 
3.5 pounds peaches (about 9 med. sized peaches)
3 cups sugar 
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 vanilla bean, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (use 1 whole vanilla bean, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces)
1/4 cup bourbon (Makers Mark, of course)
1 teaspoon almond extract

Blanch the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, then submerse in an ice-bath, remove from water and slip off the skins. Chop the peaches into 1/4 inch dice, removing the pits.

Put the peaches, sugar, lime juice, and vanilla bean into a large non-reactive pot (stainless is good). Mash the peaches with a potato masher, until they are your desired consistency. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Over medium-high heat bring the peach mixture to a rolling boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Boil for 1 minute, then add the pectin. Bring the jam to a rolling boil once more, stirring constantly, and boil exactly 1 minute.

Remove the jam from heat. Stir in the bourbon and extract, remove vanilla pods, ladle the hot jam into jars, and screw on the lids. Then set the jars on a rack in a large pot of boiling water--the water should be 1 inch above the jar tops. 

Bring the water to a gentle boil and boil the jars for 10 minutes. Then remove the jars from the hot water and set aside to cool.

When the jam is cold, check the seals on the jars by pressing on the centers of the lids. If the lids do not spring back, they are vacuum sealed and the jam can be stored at room temperature. If the lid flexes, there is no seal, so store the jar in the freezer or refrigerator instead.






Another Peachy idea......








Amaretto Vanilla Peach 
Crumb Bars


*adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Makes: 24 bars



For the Dough:


3 cups all-purpose flour


1 cup granulated sugar


1 teaspoon baking powder


¼ teaspoon salt


1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold


1 egg, lightly beaten









For the Filling:




5 cups diced or sliced peaches (about 7 peaches) 

1 vanilla bean pod (scraped)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons Amaretto
½ cup all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg











1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.





2. For the Dough: In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Use a pastry blender (or two butter knives) to cut in the butter, and then the egg. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan. Place the pan and the remainder of the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

3. For the Filling: Place the diced (or sliced) peaches in a large bowl, add amaretto and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix gently. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over the peaches and mix gently.
4. Spread the peach mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the peach layer.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.





Well, that's all for now....I have to go do more dishes.....

Oh, and I still have like nine peaches left so they'll probably be one more peach recipe coming, or a bunch of smoothies in my near future.

I loved making the jam and forgot how fun it is to make your own. 


Question of the day:  Do any of you can or have favorite jam/canning recipes?











Comments

  1. This looks so good. I am so impressed with all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jam sounds amazing! I made Apricot Amaretto Jam recently that was pretty tasty. Canning is addicting I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, hello! I love your blog! Apricot Amaretto Jam sounds delicious. Canning is something I am starting to just get in to but I can see how it could be addicting. I can't wait to do more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading A Dancer In The Ktichen! Let me know what you are thinking or love to eat!

Popular Posts